top of page
  • Harvey Steel

A second half fight back from Swindon Town U18’s meant the points were shared in a six goal thriller

After a dominate first half display, The U’s went in at half time 3-1 up. However, a battling second half performance from the visitors resulted in the points being shared as the game ended in a 3-3 draw.

Jimmy Unwin named the same starting 11 as he did for last weekend’s 2-1 victory over Northampton Town FC U18’s. The only change to the squad was on the bench as Diego Miller missed out due to illness.

It was an excellent start to the game from The U’s, scoring inside the opening two minutes. Nathan Brown’s excellent run and cross was met by Richard-Noel at the front post, who headed powerfully past the Swindon keeper to put the U’s 1-0 up. Swindon responded well to going a goal behind, with their best chance coming after 16 minutes when a freekick from 25 yards was rocketed against The U’s woodwork.

Swindon began to build into the game after coming close to scoring, forcing the U’s deeper into their half. Their pressure was rewarded after Swindon’s striker was brought down by Brown who tripped him in the area. The penalty was converted and the game was drawn level.

The U’s gained back control of the game beginning to test Swindon’s keeper again, first through Braithwaite and then Cowling. The U’s pressure finally paid off as a long ball from Gill was flicked on by Richard-Noel putting Yearn through on goal, one on one with the keeper. The 14 year old slotted the ball calmly past the keeper to put the U’s 2-1 up. The U’s continued to push on searching for a third which they found 41 minutes in as a cross field ball from Maragh was brought by Dearman, who cut inside onto his left and finished brilliantly into the bottom corner.

The U’s started well after the break creating good chances to extend their lead. However, they were made to pay for their missed chances 59 minutes in when the visitors began their comeback scoring a wonderful goal. After The U’s failed to clear their lines from a corner, the ball dropped to the edge of the box where a Swindon man collected and took two touches before dispatching the ball into the top left corner giving Gill no chance.

The Robbins completed their comeback just four minutes later, equalising with another super strike. A corner taken quickly caught The U’s off guard and allowed the Swindon striker time and space to get his head up and once more find the top corner.

Both teams pushed on for the winner however neither side could convert their chances. The Robbins had the best chance to win it, when a cut back found Swindon’s striker alone in the box, his effort was saved smartly by Gill to keep the game level.

The draw sees The U’s continue their unbeaten start to Merit League 1 with them sitting in third place having played a game less than leaders AFC Wimbledon.

125 views0 comments
bottom of page