top of page
  • Harvey Steel

Loan Watch | Worman steals the show as St. Neots win comfortably

Loan Watch 2 (27/10)

Welcome to the 2nd edition of ‘The Loan Watch’, this week our boys faced a quick turnaround from last Saturday’s games as they turned their attention to midweek games. There was a break from league action this weekend, as the FA Trophy games took place.

Coming up, midweek games called off due to Covid fears and Ben Worman steals the show as Neots keep up their good form.

(Haverhill Rovers P – P Mildenhall Town)

Haverhill Rovers midweek game was called off this week due to Covid fears within the opposition ranks meaning Joe Rider was without a game.

(St. Neots Town 4 – 1 Biggleswade FC)

On Tuesday, St. Neots welcomed strugglers Biggleswade to the Premier Plus Stadium. All six U’s youngsters started the game as well as there being a familiar face for U’s fans on the Saints bench, as Luke Chadwick made a return to competitive football. After a busy five minutes to the game, The Saints took the lead through U’s defender Tom Dickens from a corner. It wasn’t long before the Saints doubled their lead, this time a magical run and a great finish from

Ben Worman, meaning St. Neots went in 2-0 up at the break. Soon after the break Worman scored again after he met Liam Bennett’s ball in the box to put the result past doubt. A consolation goal from Biggleswade came late on but U’s loanee Jake Battersby scored to make the score line convincing once more. There was a late run out for Luke Chadwick as he dusted off the cobwebs to contribute with a few nice touches. The game ended 4-1 and moved The Saints up to 8th in the league.

That was all from Tuesday’s action, now for Saturdays FA Trophy action!

(Biggleswade Town 1 - 0 Heybridge Swifts)

Joe Neal's Biggleswade Town side hosted division lower, Heybridge Swifts FC in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy this weekend. It was a lack lusted affair between the sides, however it was The Waders who snuck into the first round proper of the FA Trophy after a second half goal from new signing Conor Furlong. Late on U's loanee was replaced after a selfless shift up front for his side but Biggleswade's lead came under little threat and they were able to see the game out and progress into the first round proper of The FA Trophy.

(St. Neots Town 6 - 1 Worksop Town)

Off the back of St. Neots's comfortable win in midweek, The Saints went toe to toe with Worksop Town in the FA Trophy. Once more all six U's loanee's started the game.

It was an exciting opening 10 minutes to the game from both sides but it was the visitors who took the lead in the 11th minute. The Saints kept battling and in a game with flared tempters The Saints did well to keep their cool. Just before the break Lewis Simper noded home to continue his goal scoring form and draw The Saints level. As the players left the field of play for the half time break tempers spilled over from the visitors players which ended up in two of their players being dismissed, as well as Saints defender Dequane Wilson-Braithwaite, making it nine against 10 for the second half. Just six minutes into the second St. Neots took the lead and only seven minutes later Ben Worman extended their advantage after a long range found its way into the back of the net. In the 71st minute Worman scored again, this time the U's loanee rounded the opposition keeper to tape into the empty net making it seven in seven for the youngster. Two more goals late on capped off a dominant second half display and sent them into the first round proper of the FA Trophy.

And that's a wrap for this weeks action. Hopefully we can see one more match day of play before Lockdown begins so tune back in next week for that. Once again it would be appreciated if you could follow my socials @Harv_Steel and @SteelViews, until next time... football.

95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page